Mark Johnston, D.M.D, M.S.
Education & Associations
Dr. Mark Johnston graduated from the University of Georgia (UGA), where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology. He entered the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta and received his Doctorate in Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) degree. After dental school, Dr. Johnston continued his education at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). He completed a Hospital Dentistry Residency, where he received a certificate in Hospital/General Practice Dentistry. Dr. Johnston was a Research Assistant for the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. During the same year, he was a Clinical Instructor for the UAB Department of Restorative Dentistry. He completed his three-year orthodontic residency program and received his Master of Science degree and his Certificate in Orthodontics from the UAB School of Dentistry.
Dr. Johnston returned to Atlanta and opened his orthodontic practice in East Cobb. In 2001, Dr. Johnston earned his Board Certification from the American Board of Orthodontics. Only 30% of the orthodontists in the United States are Board Certified.
Dr. Johnston is committed to furthering the future of Orthodontics with his involvement in several dental councils and organizations:
- Georgia Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- Georgia Dental Association
- Hinman Dental Society
- College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics
- American College of Dentists
- International College of Dentists
- Midwest Component of the Angle Society
Life Outside the Office
Dr. Johnston is very active in his local community. He has been a Partner in Education for Sope Creek Elementary School, Dodgen Middle School, and Dickerson Middle School. Other areas of his involvement include:
- Dental mission trips with churches to Peru, Mexico and Honduras
- Eagles Nest - an Atlanta inner-city mission for the homeless
- Rainbows - an international organization designed to assist children and adults who have experienced loss of a loved one from death or divorce
- Rotary Club of East Cobb
- Citizens Advisory Committee for surrounding public schools
- Coaching various adolescent sports in the community
Dr. Johnston resides in Sandy Springs with his wife, Helene. They have three daughters, Taylor and son-in-law Durham, Chandler, Bailey, and son, Watts. Their house is quite busy with four-legged friends, including three dogs, Pearl, Greta, and Cooper, and one cat, Gary. Dr. Johnston enjoys many hobbies, including hunting, fishing, boating, and spending time in the North Georgia Mountains with his family.
Meet the Team
Dr. Johnston has assembled a team that reflects his values and office mission. The Johnston Orthodontics team works together to provide the best orthodontic treatment to our patients. We treat our patients as we would our family. Our Team goal is to consistently provide the highest quality patient care while focusing on individual patients’ needs.
Our orthodontic team of professionals has more than 100 years of combined experience in providing outstanding orthodontic services to our patients.